Sunday 27 April 2014

Backyard photography (and a new pattern)

One of my favourite parts of the knitting process is the finishing. I know I may be in the minority here but I don't mind weaving in ends, sewing seams and I LOVE blocking! Not only does blocking inject life into the finished item, it also means I am a mere few hours from wearing my brand new knitted; and that is my very best part!
I also look forward to photographing my knits. I'm really lucky to have over a hectare of natural Australian bush as my backyard. No matter what time of year it is, my backyard is always stunningly beautiful with tall willowy Karri and Marri trees, natural coffee rock and banksia trees. The ground is a carpet of fallen leaves and in winter, when the rain has washed everything clean, the colours positively glow.

That, my friends, is my backyard! Oh and my new cowl pattern ;-)

Most of my photoshoots take place here and the bushland you see is literally metres from my back door.
Now I don't profess to be an expert photographer, in fact my bestie would kill me if I did (She actually IS a photographer! She often sneers at my 'little' camera ;-)) But since I can't always have her on hand to take amazing pics for me, I have to make do with the resources I have.
I shoot with an amatuer level DSLR; a Canon 500D. I always shoot in natural light and try to choose overcast days or late afternoon where possible for the best lighting. I've been training Miss 12 to take my pics for me (she does a much better job than hubby!) And this past weekend we went to the beach for a shoot, just for something different. It was an unseasonably hot day with some light cloud cover so we were rushing to take pics each time the clouds diffused the sun.
The photo's are of my latest pattern, Wistful Cowl, which I released on Ravelry overnight.



This cowl features a diagonal eyelet mesh pattern that changes direction halfway. At the start of the round you are left with a vertical strip of stocking stitch, the perfect background for some decorative buttons! You can choose from the shorter version (shown in green) or the long version (pink) which can be wrapped twice for extra warmth.
The pattern is available for $4.50 AUD and you can buy it here:

No comments:

Post a Comment